Sunday, November 06, 2011

World Fantasy Convention 2011: Books

It would be remiss of me to talk about a literary convention without talking about books. So without further ado, here's a biased list of squee-worthy titles I'm excited about:

The Thorn and The Blossom: A Two-Sided Love Story by Theodora Goss

I absolutely adore Theodora Goss and she was showing this book around during the convention. As the title implies, it's a two-sided book - no spine at all - and the physical artifact is simply lovely. I'm looking forward to reading it and see how the double-sided nature affects the reading. Will it be something like Above/Below? Or something else entirely? I can't wait for 2012 to grab myself a copy.

The Freedom Maze by Delia Sherman

I've always been impressed with both Delia Sherman and Small Beer Press so I'm looking forward to this. Unfortunately, I missed out on both Delia's reading and the few copies of the book that were being sold at the convention (it was gone from the Dealer's Room on Sunday). I'll just have to settle for the Small Beer Podcast.

After the Apocalypse by Maureen F. McHugh

I have yet to crack open the book but again, I love what Small Beer Press is doing. The book just got released during WFC2011 and you should all check it out.


The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

N.K. Jemisin held an interesting pajama party to celebrate the release of her book. Here's the recipe for the drinks used during the event. Now go buy the book. Congrats to Nora for completing her trilogy!


Master of the House of Darts by Aliette de Bodard

I was browsing the Dealer's Room when I saw the third book of my friend Aliette de Bodard's book. It's out!!! Congrats on finishing your trilogy!

The Rose of Sarifal by Paulina Claiborne

Paul Park is a talented author but not quite one that I'd associate with media tie-ins so I was genuinely surprised to hear that he was going to write a novel for Wizards of the Coast. I'm looking forward to his foray into Dungeons and Dragons as this combines two of my hobbies.

Cold Fire by Kate Elliott

I got to meet the intelligent Kate Elliott at WFC2011 and she did mention that despite writing epic fantasy for quite some time, not a lot of male reviewers have been paying much attention to her work so here's a shout out to her books.

Blood and Other Cravings edited by Ellen Datlow

I was late for the reading of Blood and Other Cravings at the Tor Suite but I was impressed with the participating authors like Nicole J. LeBoeuf and Barbara Roden. 

The Other by Matthew Hughes

I finally got to meet Underland Press's publisher, Victoria Blake, at WFC2011 and she's such a wonderful person. I'm really impressed with the titles Underland Press has published - including my friend Matthew Hughes's novel - and I'd also like to direct you to their survey asking for your favorite secondary world.


Zombies vs. Robots

During the awards banquet, I got to sit down with one of IDW's editors and he mentioned Zombies vs Robots... but I had already heard of it! They have a prestigious lineup of prose authors and I'm looking forward to how they approach the theme.

Kim Oh 1: Real Dangerous Girl by K.W. Jeter

I got to meet K.W. Jeter during a dinner with Ellen Datlow and he mentioned that this series was his latest foray into eBooks.

1 comment:

cvlao said...

Thanks to you I am SO looking forward to Dora Goss' new book. I suppose I'll have to have it shipped though. Thanks C.